Powered by Blogger.

Maybelline Superstay 24-Hour lipcolor- Yes or No?

Thursday, April 7, 2011

I was recently sent my Maybelline Superstay 24-hour lip color BzzKit through BzzAgent, a great site for getting to try out new products.  It was really exciting when I got an email inviting me to join this campaign, because it was my first beauty-related one (my first and only BzzCampaign prior to this was one for Orbit gum, which I did last summer).  It's taken me longer than expected to get this post up, but I'm finally getting around to it!

Before I begin, BzzAgent is really cool social marketing site.  You sign up, and the more you get involved with the site (filling out surveys, doing BzzCampaigns, etc.), the higher your "status" gets.  This lets you get "invited" to more BzzCampaigns, which are like trials for new products.  BzzCampaigns typically come with a few different variations on the product along with a guide and coupons.


The Maybelline Superstay 24-hour lip color BzzKit came with 4 lip colors in Forever Chestnut, Wear On Wildberry, Everlasting Wine, and Timeless Rose (pictured above and below, top to bottom)


Everlasting Wine

The lip colors feature a lip cream with a doe-foot applicator on one end, and a balm stick on the other.  You apply the lip color first, let it completely dry, and then apply the balm over the top.  


(left to right: Timeless Rose, Everlasting Wine, Wear On Wildberry, Forever Chestnut)

I have to just come out and say it- I can't make myself like these for one reason.  They dry out my lips to no end!  Literally after one day of wearing them, my lips get chapped to the point where it takes a couple of days of moisturizing them constantly to get back to normal.  I don't typically have problems with my lips drying out or chapping, so I noticed this immediately.
During my first trial, I wore Timeless Rose out to Panera with my mom (I thought testing it through a meal would be interesting!).  I let the color completely dry on my lips-which took about 3 or so minutes- and then "set" it with the balm.  No color came off on the balm this time.  I was really impressed with Timeless Rose; the color stuck to my lips even throughout the meal and only transferred the slightest bit onto my straw.  Two hours later when I got back to my room and checked the mirror, the color was still noticeable and there wasn't any weird splotchiness.
This wasn't so much the case with Everlasting Wine and Wear On Wildberry, however (I didn't try Forever Chestnut longer than a swatch just because I really shouldn't be seen in that kind of shade, lol!). They both didn't really dry on my lips, and when I'd apply the balm, the color would leave a mess over the balm stick.  I wore Everlasting Wine while acting for my friend's silent movie where I had to sip water, and the color transferred there, too.  The crew kept making jokes about my lipstick being all over the set lol!

Wear On Wildberry + balm on my lips

As far as application goes, these are really nice and easy to use- the doe foot applicator works well to get an even amount in the right place on your lips.  They are also nicely pigmented with color.

I did think the colors were really pretty, and when I wasn't eating/drinking they did last me a good 3-4 hours.  One thing to note, though, is that the colors apply on the darker side.  And according to the BzzGuide I received, the other colors in the range look to be dark as well. 

I should note that I do drink/eat fairly regularly throughout the day, so it's probably a good thing that I'm not a frequent wearer of lipstick.  I think if you typically go 3-4 hours between eating and are patient with letting these completely dry down, you shouldn't have the problems I did.

Pros:
-Pigmented, glossy color
-Combined with a balm stick to add moisture/shine
-Affordable ($9.99 at ULTA)
-Fade evenly

Cons:
-Drying to my lips
-Average lasting time
-Transfer when eating/drinking
-Not a wide range of shades (although there are a lot of them, from the looks of it!)

I really can't stand behind these because of how chapped they made my lips, unfortunately.  I wanted to love them!  I'm hoping that I can make them work for special occasions, and with a good moisturizing balm underneath.

Have you tried these new Maybelline lip colors?  

Disclaimer:  This post features products sent to me from BzzAgent, a social marketing website through which you can try out new products.  All opinions are 100% my own.  I am not affiliated with the company in any way.  

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP