Powered by Blogger.

Favorite (and least favorite) self tanners- Oompa Loompas not welcome!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Having fair skin, I have grown to love self tanners- ones that don't make me orange that is.  I tan naturally pretty easily for being fair, except I really don't spend much time outdoors anymore.  They quickly become my best friends during the warmer months!
The thing I struggle with, being about a MAC NC20 (when I'm not spending much time in the sun), is which ones give my skin a nice, healthy tan, as opposed to a "fake tan" tan.  Some come across too orange or just too dark to look natural.
These are the self tanners I currently own, and I'll explain which ones I'm fond of and which ones not so much!

Jergens Natural Glow

Jergens Natural Glow self tanners are my favorite (out of the ones I've tried, anyway!), mainly because they are gradual tanners and don't just wash off after one use.

Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer (fair skin tones)
I use this basically year-round: on average every 3 days during the summer, and whenever I want an extra boost of color throughout the winter.  My favorite part about it is how gradual it is- you can see in the picture below that it takes one week to build the color.  My second favorite part is that the smell is bearable.  These two things together make it one of my HG tanners, because I'm super sensitive to scent and I really don't want anything too dark.  It's pretty fool-proof and won't leave you with streaks (YAY!  So unattractive).  The color is natural, so I wouldn't recommend this to someone who wants a deep tan (although they do have ones for medium/tan skin tones, that probably go darker).  It's perfect for me because it's usually not a hugely noticeable difference in my color, but just enough so I don't feel white.  And it's great for use in between my next self tanner, Jergens Natural Glow Express Body Moisturizer!

(Showing the time it takes to build the tan)

Jergens Natural Glow Express Body Moisturizer (fair-medium skin tones)
I use this specifically during the summer, because it provides a decent amount of color AND gives quick results (up to 3 days).  Hence the "express" part of it.  This is great if you want to be tan for something particular coming up, need it quickly, but don't want something that will wash off (like the two I'll show below).  The smell is still bearable, like the Daily Moisturizer, but a little stronger.  You also have to be a bit careful when applying this, because I've gotten streaks when I do it quickly.  I've used it on my face before even though it's deemed a "body moisturizer" and it actually gives my face a nice tan.  I'm really fond of this one.


L'Oreal Sublime Bronze

These L'Oreal tanners are tinted lotions that last throughout the day, and then wash off when you shower.

L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion (medium-deep skin tones) & Sublime Bronze Luminous Bronzer Lotion
Because both of these tanners are pretty identical in the color, scent, and formula, I'm going to review them together.
They are both a shimmery, deep bronze color (see pictures below) that looks scary until you blend it in.  It actually leaves a very subtle amount of color behind and I've applied double layers in the past.  I actually don't use these very much because I find they rub off easily on clothing and stain, and the smell is also pretty bad (in comparison to the Jergens tanners).  On the positive side, I do think they're really flattering for skin- the shimmers highlight and the deep color makes skin look like its glowing.  If you like these kind of tanners I'd recommend them, but personally they're not my thing.

L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Luminous Bronzer- huge amount on top, blended in on bottom.  
Note: I definitely squeezed out too much!

I hope this helps!  I've tried out several different self tanners in the past, and these are the ones I own currently and use when I feel like tanning.  I'm also planning on another post showing the makeup bronzers I own and which ones I like best.
Which self tanners do you guys use, if any?  I'd love to know if you have any recommendations- I'm always on the lookout for better tanners!



0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP