Powered by Blogger.

Free kids' Event in Johnstown,PA until tomorrow.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Learning Lamp and Art Works in Johnstown, PA is holding their 3rd Annual Children's Book Festival in Johnstown. I was not aware of the event prior to this year, but wish I would have known before. My boys brought home a paper from school about it.

There were lot of activities listed on the paper: puppet shows, craft time, cookie decorating, a story teller, Making beaded bookmarks with one of the artists that were featured at the artworks, doing repurposed art, Books come alive performance, lot and lots to do. I decided, hey this could be fun. I asked my boys if they'd like to go. So glad we made this decision.

The event was free.  Free admission, free crafts, the events were free, just about anything.  The only things that you would need money for was the small cafe they called "Cosmic Cafe" that was set up for the event and they had a Scholastic book fair as well as a used book fair.  The prices in the cafe were very reasonable. 


We spent 4 hrs at this event and still didn't do everything they had to offer.  My boys got to hammer out spoons to help make a re-purposed wind chime, they made beaded book marks with artist Heather Thompson, They sat through Storyteller Temujin who did a cute and funny presentation of some folk tales, they watched Zula Patrol in a what they called the "Discovery Dome", they made a paper rocketship and alien masks, they decorated a cookie, they got to see some local art, they even received a free book of their choice from The Learning Lamp. 

Some of the things we missed was Illustrator John Manders did an Illustration presentation, they had decorate your own door hangers.

This event is still running tomorrow.  Tomorrow is the last day until next year so if you're in the area and thinking of going, I would highly recommend it.  Tomorrow's list consists of:

Stage Right "Books Come Alive" performance 1-2 pm
local tv personality Marty Radovanic of WJAC-TV to do a children's book reading
Cookie decorating
Roy Handy and the Moonshot rock and roll band for kids
Balloon Art
Local author  Joseph Moore of "The Raindrop Who Wouldn't Fall"
Discovery Dome Movie
crafts
and the ongoing cafe and book sale


All FREE (except cafe and book sale)  I'm so mad at myself that I didn't take my camera. I just had to share this with you though.

Free Stuff, Fun Sites, Contests, and More

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP