Powered by Blogger.

Review: Coastal Scents 88 Matte eyeshadow palette (And swatches)

Monday, September 6, 2010

Hey guys, this is a much-more-overdue-than-expected review of the Coastal Scents 88 Matte palette I got as an early birthday present.  I played around with this a lot when I first received it, but since then I haven't used it as much as I thought I would.  I think the main reason for that is I've been sticking to hardcore neutral eye looks.  Don't ask me why!  Anyway, this palette deserves WAY more love from me than it's getting.


(Use this image above as a reference for the swatches)

Before I get into the review (I'm sure you all know this but just incase), this is an 88 piece eyeshadow palette.  Coastal Scents makes this one along with a variety of other finishes.  There are also other companies like Sedona Lace and BH Cosmetics that make almost the exact same palette.  This is the most "popular" one, at least it seems it is from what I've read!

Price: $18.95
Availability: Online from coastalscents.com or amazon.com (My mom got mine from amazon because I had some money left on an Amazon giftcard)

Note: This palette is only 9" x 6.5" when closed.  To me it looks way bigger in pictures, so that's just a reminder so you don't get it and feel disappointed!  Each pan is a little smaller in diameter than a dime.  Despite the small size, though, you'll get many uses out of most colors.
I know many people complain about how "bulky" or big this palette is, but I think it's actually pretty compact.  It's thin and isn't too much bigger than my ELF Beauty Books.

This palette is described as "matte", but there are also "satin" and "shimmer" finishes mixed in (Coastal Scents website says it's almost a 50/50 mix).  

Swatches in same order as palette:
(First three rows)

(Next three rows)

(Next three rows)

(Last two rows)

Quality: These eyeshadows are, for the most part, highly pigmented and easy to apply.  I'd say the least pigmented colors are found in the browns/creams on the outer two rows (Which is unfortunate because those are the ones I use most often).  The majority of the bright colors (Middle rows) are matte finishes and have awesome pigmentation.  The lighter colors in the top left and right corners don't show up well/are lightly pigmented, and as a result I don't use them very much.  The pinks/purples and blues are just GORGEOUS, though, and are probably my favorite group in this palette.

All the eyeshadows regardless of their pigmentation are smooth and soft- a huge bonus in my book!  I hate having to dig my brush into eyeshadow pans to get product out.  I would recommend that you use a stiff brush or sponge with these, though.

Pros:
- Great value for the price you pay- 88 eyeshadows for under $20
- Beautiful bright AND neutral colors
- Most have great pigmentation, easily blendable
- Mix of finishes

Cons:
- Some of the matte colors can be a little chalky
- Poor pigmentation in some neutral colors
- Not recommended for people who aren't fans of bright colors
- Only available online (From what I know)

I've read mixed reviews about this palette- some people LOVE it and some don't, but personally I'm glad to have it.  My roommates aren't too into makeup, and one of them always asks me to do her eyes, so they ooh and ahh when I bring this out.  :)  It makes me feel like a makeup artist (wannabe, haha)!

Do you own this palette, or any of the others like it?  What are your experiences with it?  Let me know in the comments!  
I start classes tomorrow, finally!  It's crazy that I've been here over a week and school hasn't even start yet.  Haha.  Have a good night everyone. 
<3

PS: Here's the first look I did using this palette!  This was the day we drove to Chicago.  I had lots of time in the car to take pictures and play around with it, haha.
I can't remember the exact shades I used, I apologize for that, but I know I used the light yellow (top row, second from left) and some of the muted greens:


(It definitely looked greener in person, unfortunately my camera didn't capture that too well)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP