Powered by Blogger.

Comparison: Bare Minerals vs. Maybelline Mineral Power foundations

Saturday, January 1, 2011

So, prior to using Bare Minerals I was using Maybelline's Mineral Power powder foundation (I've talked about it briefly here and here).  I really love that foundation- using it made me realize that I like mineral powder foundations so much more than liquids or creams.  It is SO easy to apply and I love the lighter feel of it.  Now, I do wish I could say I've tried more drugstore powder foundations, but I haven't.  I knew I liked Maybelline's so I kept returning to it.
Anyway, the transition to Bare Minerals was much-needed in my mind.  I wanted to try something new!  And after using this foundation for a few days, I decided I should compare it to my old favorite Maybelline Mineral Power.  Thus, I give you this post.  :)

Left: Maybelline Mineral Power foundation, Right: Bare Minerals foundation

Packaging: I'm no department store makeup "snob" whatsoever, so plastic packaging never bothered me.  I don't need it to feel luxurious if it works well.  The Maybelline container is definitely plastic and rather lightweight, but the sifter works well- I've never had a problem with too much product coming out.  Usually I lightly shake it (cap screwed on) a few times per application; it's enough for my entire face.  Switching to Bare Minerals, though, and I definitely see the difference in packaging.  The container is heavier/feels sturdier, and overall looks more expensive.  Still not a huge deal to me.  The cool part is in the sifter- there's a cover that "locks" into place over the holes so when you throw it in your bag or travel, foundation doesn't leak out of the compartment.  I really like this!

Price/quantity: The Maybelline foundation is about $8, while Bare Minerals normal-sized foundation is $25 on its own (this is for the original finish- the matte goes for $28).  They are the same size, 0.28oz, which lasts quite awhile.

Finish/coverage: I get more of a matte, medium coverage with the Maybelline foundation.  Despite it being quite matte, it does give my skin a nice "glow" that I really like (typically I wouldn't go for something matte).  It covers up my redness and acne spots that I don't really need concealer unless I have a bad pimple I want to hide.  I love this.  If I can eliminate one step of my face makeup routine, then I'm all for it!
The Bare Minerals original formula gives me a lighter, more glowy finish.  Definitely not matte, which I actually like.  I find that I probably do need some kind of concealer using this.  This week I've been lazy and just been dabbing the Bare Minerals concealer brush into the foundation and using this to cover my acne spots.  It works quite well, but it doesn't last throughout the day.  I'd definitely reach for my Maybelline Double Face Perfector concealer for something more long-wearing.

Colors: In the Maybelline Mineral Power foundation, I wear the shade "Light 2- Classic Ivory".  This is almost perfect for me no matter what season it is/how my skin tone changes.  I have "Fairly Medium" in the Bare Minerals original foundation.  It's perfect for me now since I'm lighter in the winter, so I'm curious to see if it still works in the spring once I go outside again.  I worry it'll be too light, but we'll see- I'm sure it will probably be fine.


I hope you can tell from this picture the difference in shades/finishes.  They are really, really close when comparing them in the jars.  When I swatch them, I notice that the Bare Minerals is a touch lighter and has more of a luminous finish than the Maybelline.  It also looks to have more pink undertones and feels lighter.

Wear quality: I get similar wear-time for both of these, and only start noticing them wearing away in the late afternoon/early evening.  I notice it on my chin/above my lips, where my acne scars are, which leads me to believe that I really just need a better concealer.  My cheeks/forehead area/rest of my face, where I have some redness and random spots, stay covered and even just fine.  Now, my sister says on her oilier skin, Bare Minerals starts to wear away during the afternoon and that's her only complaint.  I haven't experienced this yet.

Overall: These really aren't dupes for each other, because they have different finishes and coverages.  The similarities end at the colors and sizes.  But I think the Maybelline Mineral Power foundation is still a good alternative to other high-end mineral powder foundations if you're on a budget.  I'm really happy to have Bare Minerals, though- I think it's better suited for my skin-type and gives me more of a glow that I like.

Have you tried either of these?  Agree/disagree with what I've said?  I'd love to know! :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP