Powered by Blogger.

Tackling spring/summer makeup trends: Yellow eyeshadow

Friday, May 27, 2011

Like my last post in this series about coral lips, this post is focusing on a spring/summer trend that I'm trying to successfully pull off.  And in the process, I can hopefully share with you an idea for how to do it yourself!  
In this post, I tried to recreate the yellow eyeshadow trend two different ways.  The first is a more toned down version, and the second is something very out of the ordinary for me- it's bright!

(I'm not totally in love with this first one now that I post this, haha.  The brown kind of makes it look like... a bumble bee?  Now I know for next time, ha!)

Look one: paired with browns


Products used:
-Almay Bright Eyes eye base+concealer
-NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk (matte white base)
-Golden yellow shimmery eyeshadow pigment (Sample I got from a giveaway last year)
-Coastal Scents 88 palette (matte cream, bright yellow, light yellow, chocolate brown, medium bronze)
-NYX Ultimate Pearl eyeshadow in White Pearl (shimmery white)
-Covergirl Liquiline Blast eyeliner in Brown Blaze
-L'Oreal Double Extend Illuminator mascara for green eyes

First I primed my eyes and applied a matte white base so the colors would show up better.  Then, I applied a shimmery golden yellow pigment eyeshadow all over my lid.  I blended it into the crease and then applied a satin pale yellow shade in the crease.  I highlighted my brow bone with a matte cream shade, topped with a shimmery white shade that I also put in my inner corner to brighten.  I did the pale yellow shade along my lower lash line as well.  I followed with a chocolate brown shade (applied with my ELF definer brush-any sharp angled brush would also work) in the very outer corner, creating a precise line along the outer edge and crease areas.  I blended this slightly into the yellow using a bronze shade.  Then, I lined the very outer edges of my eyes creating a slight wing using a dark brown eyeliner. To finish, I curled my lashes and applied a black mascara.  

Look two: paired with teals


Products used:
-Almay Bright Eyes eye base
-NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk
-Golden yellow shimmery pigment eyeshadow (same as look #1)
-Coastal scents 88 matte palette (light yellow, same as look #1)
-Physicians Formula Shimmery Strips eyeshadow for green eyes- Pop! collection (bright teal)
-Wet 'n' Wild ColorIcon eyeshadow palette in Pride (shimmery medium teal)
-Wet 'n' Wild ColorIcon eyeshadow palette in Vanity (shimmery gold, bronze, and matte cream)
-NYX Ultra Pearl eyeshadow in White Pearl (shimmery white)
-Victoria's Secret eyeliner in Dark Brown
-L'Oreal Double Extend Illuminator mascara for green eyes

First, apply your eyeshadow primer all over your eye area.  Follow with a matte white base all over the lid area and along lower lash line.  Apply a bright golden yellow eyeshadow to the lid, stopping about 1/4 of the way from the outer corner.  Blend a pale lighter yellow shade above the previous yellow, blending into the crease, and on the inner 1/4 of the lid.  Tape off the outside of your eye so the outer eyeshadow colors create a sharp line.  Take a bright teal shade and pack it on the outer 1/4 of the lid, creating a sharp line where it meets the yellow.  Blend this out using a shimmery medium teal shade above the crease and to blur the lines.  Apply a shimmery white eyeshadow to inner corners.  Then, apply a matte cream eyeshadow to the brow bone.  Take the golden yellow, shimmery gold, and bronze shades underneath the lower lash line, applying lightest to darkest.  Follow with a deep brown or bronze eyeliner on the outer corners of top and bottom lash lines, and mascara.

Adding the teal to this look was a big leap for me- like corals, teals are another color family I'm terrified of.  I actually couldn't think of a better color to pair the yellow with that would give enough contrast, though.  I like how it turned out for a bright, summery look!
I hope the explanation helps a little.  I only included that this time because the looks were a little more involved than most looks I do.  

Thanks so much for reading, and I really appreciate the feedback!  It's great to know what you guys want to see here! :)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP