Powered by Blogger.

Complete and Utter Overload

Wednesday, April 20, 2011


Make-Up has been a passion of mine for years. Its only in the last few months that I've realised just how much of it I own, and with that, just how much I spend. This realisation hit me when I looked up the amount of points I have on my Brown Thomas loyalty card. You get one point per euro spent..

Suffice to say, I had shocking number of points.

My Mum has always given out to me about buying the "exact" same eyeshadow over and over again, and I have ignored this because to me their different. But when I think about it, they are almost identical. All neutrals, all beautiful. I decided to take a look at my makeup drawer and only then did I realise how obsessive my little hobby is.

A total of 13 foundations, 15 eyeshadow palettes, countless single eyeshadows, 10 mascaras, 10 blushes, over 30 lipsticks and much, much more.

And this got me thinking: why do I buy so much of the same kinds of make up?

Without running the risk of sounding like Isla Fisher in Confessions of a Shopoholic : Its because it makes me happy. The thrill you get when you buy a highend foundation that you've wanted for months or the bargain of a highstreet mascara is exhilirating. For that whole day, and maybe a few after that it excited you knowing that you can try different looks or shades. That you'll have of for ages and it will make you look better and that its "different" (debatable) from everything else you have. And then when that feeling goes, you need to buy something else to fill that little bubble.

However, seeing as most of my makeup is the same, I've decided a spending ban is necessary. For the next two/three months, I will try my very best not to buy ANY makeup, and from then on will only buy products that are completely different to those I already have. Partly because I have no money at the moment, and partly because I have realised that I can't keep buying products at the rate I do.

Is hoarding makeup (or anything else) a problem for you? If so, join me in a spending ban. It can't be that hard...

..Right?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP