Powered by Blogger.

New Face Brushes: Studio Tools & Walmart

Saturday, August 14, 2010

I said earlier that if I got off work early today I'd make a trip to my 'big' Target and look at their selection of Studio Tools brushes, but I had a migraine (Wisdom tooth removal pain) and didn't want to go across town.  I ended up going to Walmart and checking out their selection of brushes.  I'm not exactly sure what the name of this brand is, but they have blue labeled packaging and are really cheap.
In this post I'm going to talk about the two brushes I got from this brand (Not a full review on these, as I haven't had a chance to fully use them yet), and then my Studio Tools kabuki brush I got yesterday.  I'm proud of myself for building on my face brushes!  :)


First up is my Studio Tools kabuki brush, which I believe was $4.99 at Target:

This brush is actually a lot softer than it looks in these pictures.  I took the second one to show you how dense it is.  It covers about half of my cheek, and makes mineral powder a breeze to apply (and does it in half the time!).  It's not the softest brush.  If I wasn't somewhat desperate for a kabuki and seriously curious about Studio Tools, I don't know if I would have picked this up, but I certainly don't regret it.  
This works just fine for me at the moment (Read: if you already have a nice kabuki I wouldn't recommend going out and buying this one, but if you can't afford to spend much more like me, this is a good bet).

Next up are the brushes I just got tonight, from Walmart:
Duo-fiber highlighter brush, angled contour/blush brush

This blush brush was $5.98 and is seriously so soft!  I'm trying not to jump to conclusions about it, but I think I'm going to love this.  The only other angled blush brush I've owned is the ELF $1 one, and it was scratchy and shed hairs everywhere.  I looove how soft this is!
Update: This applies a subtle amount of pigment.  I used it with my ELF Studio blush in Blushing Rose,  a pretty pigmented blush, and it gives me a softer look.  Which means I won't always have to go back and buff out my blush.




This is the Duo-fiber highlighter brush, which was $4.98.  This one is very soft too.  The handle is a little shorter, something I'm not thrilled about, but I'm trying not to complain because of the price tag.  It's supposed to be used for powders (blush, bronzer, highlighter, setting powder), but I've been dying to try out a duo-fiber brush for its "airbrush" effects.  I'll have to decide later whether this one could work for that.  It's a little small.
Update: Having never used a brush specifically for highlighting, this one applies highlighter powders really nicely!  None of my regular powder brushes pack on pigment this well.

Have you tried any of these brushes?  What are your thoughts on them?  I don't know if I'm going to end up getting more Studio Tools brushes from Target, however I need an angled eyeliner brush and they have one for around $2.  
Also, check out my last post on the VS eyeshadow primer- I updated the pictures.  Hopefully you can tell how well it worked a little better!

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP